Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Did we forget to tell you we moved to Michigan?

Travis and I moved to Michigan in August of 2008. We are just 10 miles north of Detroit, in a trendy little town called Royal Oak. I certainly had my doubts about the move, but I must admit I am pleasantly surprised. Royal Oak is fabulous! We are in walking distance to the library and the local farmers market and downtown which is filled with fancy boutiques and original restaurants. Our house is extremely old, translation, lots of charm, really ghetto bathrooms and kitchens. We are only 15 minutes from the LDS Temple and our ward has a very great “family” feel.

Michigan is flat, very very flat; not even a hill. It’s so flat in fact, that there is literally only one ski mountain in the entire state and it is actually a landfill, I’m not kidding. But it is beautiful here, trees and trees and trees like you wouldn’t believe. Fall is gorgeous, and their local produce it amazing. There are parks on every corner and they are great parks on acres of land.

Travis is working on getting private capital to fund his deals to fix the vacant housing epidemic that is plaguing Detroit; that is why we are here. He has found a deep passion in helping solve this problem and making Detroit a safe place to live.

I am busy taking care of the boys, and unpacking the house … still. I will officially be unpacked by the end of this week though. We attend playgroup once a week and are busy exploring our new surroundings.

6 comments:

Jeff and Angela Boyle said...

I'm glad you are there safe and sound. The pictures of your house are cute - looks darling. and your boys are so cute! And you, miss skinny, you are looking great!

Wilson said...

Oh my goodness Mary you are in Detriot. Wow what a change from Utah and Idaho. You are so close to my family I am way jealous, only about an hour and a half away. I am glad you finally started blogging. It is so great to see pictures of the boys.

Jonny and Kara said...

It sounds like you guys are doing great! I can't believe you're so far away, though. I'm never gonna get to see you again! You're fam is so cute and you look fabulous!

Burnett Family said...

I was so surprised to hear you had already moved!! I was with you just a few weeks before and you were just thinking about it! Glad to hear you are doing well out there. Your house looks so cute! To bad we didn't get together more while we were both living here in St George!

Sanders said...

Mary!!! Welcome back to blogging. I am so out of the loop-Michigan eh? Very cool---you guys are so adventurous. Cash and Dom get cuter everyday! Take care of yourself it's a big world out there! You are all looking FAB!

The Truax Family said...

I can't believe you left St. George... because we just moved BACK!!! I was thinking about you and Travis yesterday and that we needed to let you know we returned to the south. This morning the first email I saw was announcing your blog update. I'm glad things are going well though, and hope that Travis finds a lot of success with his work in Michigan.

Love the pictures. Your boys are so adorable. And I can hardly believe how big Cash is (even though I realize it's been quite a while since I've seen him). What a stunning family you have!